{Three best friends sharing health and wellness ideas to create a positive change}

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Treadmill Hill Workout








Thank you for reading ThreeHealthyMommas! Our blog has recently moved over to Wordpress due to complications with blogger format. Please head on over to our new blog and check it out!

 ThreeHealthyMommas.wordpress.com


If you are not automatically redirected, please click here

















I want to share a fun hill interval for the treadmill that I did the other day. The weather has been pretty brutal in New York so I had to take my run inside. I knew I was scheduled to do 4-5 miles that day, and I needed something more than just running at my treadmill pace the whole time, so I decided to do some hill work since I don't get a lot of that here.

Try this and tell me what you think! It definitely got me breathing hard and I felt like I got a great workout.



Comfort Level: You are able to hold this for longer distances. You are still working but are comfortable.
Above Comfort Level: You are pushing yourself, but it's not as hard as you can go. 
Sprint: Going as hard as you can for a short period of time.

*On this workout, everytime you decrease your incline, you increase your speed and vice versa*

After your warmup:

1 Mile
  • Pace above comfort level
  • No incline
0.5 Mile
  • Pace at comfort level
  • Incline above comfort level
0.25 Mile
  • Pace above comfort level
  • Incline at comfort level
0.25 Mile
  • Pace sprint (this part makes you feel like you are flying after those inclines, so fun!)
  • No incline
*Repeat the interval and you will have reached 4 miles! 

If you have not worked up to 4 miles, you do not need to repeat the interval. You are able to control your distance and your speed/incline according to your fitness level. You can also use this for walking if you prefer. No matter how far or fast you go, just make sure you are pushing yourself on both your pace and incline levels throughout the workout. You can do more than you think you can!

Have fun!

-Jaeme
Photo courtesy of Xan's Eye Photography


2 comments:

  1. I am excited to try this one out! I'm glad its adaptable to different levels of runners too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can totally adapt it to your fitness level! Hills are SUCH a great workout. Let me know how you like it!

      Delete